Child Support Process

A parent or legal caretaker who has a child support order (including an order for health insurance or medical support), or who wants an order, can request child support services by completing an application. If you are the parent or caretaker who the child lives with most of the time (“Person Receiving Support”) and receive aid ("welfare") for the child, you do not need to apply for services. The law requires the Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) to refer cases to the local child support agency to establish parentage, child support and medical coverage for any child receiving aid. The Los Angeles County Child Support Services Department (CSSD) will take the following steps to collect support from a parent that the child does not live with most of the time (“Person Paying Support”).

Group of Children
Skip to content